Our NYC-area librarian pals were kind enough to join us last week for an early morning of ferocious book talking, coffee consuming, and oohing and aahing over our upcoming Winter (and early Summer) 2013 titles. It was an oddly hot and humid day to chat about Winter (10 weeks until Christmas…it’s really coming!), but we managed to get into the spirit and of course, had an absolutely lovely time.
A few snapshots:
Editorial Director Tara Weikum with CITY OF A THOUSAND DOLLS by Miriam Forster, and Executive Editor Erica Sussman with THE MENAGERIE by Tui Sutherland and Kari Sutherland, and MIND GAMES by Kiersten White.
Greenwillow editor Martha Mihalick with the stunning and creepy cover for ARCLIGHT, by Josin L. McQuein.
Our editors have truly outdone themselves with this season’s crop of really terrific “This Meets That” book descriptions… :
- “Tim Burton Meets the Natural History Museum” — STARDINES SWIM HIGH ACROSS THE SKY, by Jack Prelutsky, illustrations by Carin Berger
- “The Artist meets the Pigeon” — THAT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! by Mo Willems
- “Little Women with wings” — THE FAIRY BELL SISTERS series, by Margaret McNamara
- “Frog and Toad meets Law & Order” — PLATYPUS POLICE SQUAD: THE FROG WHO CROAKED, by Jarrett Krosoczka
- “Stephen King meets Veronica Roth meets The Passage” —ARCLIGHT, by Josin L. McQuein
- “X-Men meets The Godfather (with heart)” –TRANSPARENT, by Natalie Whipple
- “The Devil Wears Prada meets Disneyworld” —HOW ZOE MADE HER DREAMS (MOSTLY) COME TRUE, by Sarah Strohmeyer
Lo and behold, a new Preview blog post feature! These are books that, when mentioned, garnered an across-the-room-audible “awwwww!” from the audience:
- AMELIA BEDELIA— 2013 is the 50th Anniversary of our favorite mixed-up but wholeheartedly well-meaning friend Amelia! We’re reissuing the original picture book in a bit larger trim size with truly fantastic additional back matter.
- TIPTOE JOE, by Ginger Fogelsong Gibson, illustrations by Laura Rankin — I won’t spoil the payoff of this adorable picture book, but let me just say, you’ll lay your hand over your heart when you get to the end.
- GIANT DANCE PARTY— written by THE Betsy Bird! Illustrations by Brandon Dorman.
- RAMONA– We’re repackaging the entire beloved Ramona series in 2013, and let me tell you, the art is adorable. The consensus in the room (and from Beverly Cleary herself, of course) was that this is true Ramona- goofy, a bit scruffy, and every bit lovable.
And that, my friends, is the inside scoop!